Thursday, August 04, 2005

"The Law Firm"

NBC's eight-episode alternative drama series "The Law Firm"; a show produced by David E. Kelley ("Ally McBeal," "The Practice") features real lawyers competing against each other while trying real court cases with real clients, in front of real judges and juries, resulting in outcomes that are final, legal and binding for the parties.

I wonder how all of these "real lawyers" were able to get time off to compete on a reality show?

I also wonder if other practicing lawyers will be watching the show. If you deal with this day in and day out, would you really want to be watching it in your free time? Which brings me to my next point.

What client in his/her right mind would agree to have his/her case litigated by reality show contestants, on national tv? Does "final, legal and binding" mean that the losers forfeit their right to appeal? I guess people have been doing it for years with the People's Court and Judge Judy. Still doesn't make much sense to me, but whatever floats your boat.

So I got home in time to catch most of the show (2nd Episode). The thing that surprised me was the fact that both dismissals were from the teams that won their cases. I liked the fact that just because you are on the team that wins the case doesn't mean you are safe. Roy Black seemed to be actually observing the contestants instead of just being a figurehead with Viceroys doing all the work (Cough, Trump!). I loved how one of the cases was about a dominatrix. The contestants were probably expecting high-profile cases, big corporate clients, and instead they get this Judge Judy stuff. Heheh.

Overall, I think I'll indeed add this one to the VCR schedule and watch it when I can (for as long as it lasts with the ratings its getting). Afterall, who better to learn from than lawyers? Even bad ones.

No comments: